CALENDAR OF EVENTS
Check out our upcoming events!
All meetings are now held on Zoom for the foreseeable future – unless noted the Zoom address will be sent out to League members the day of the event.
January 27: LEAGUE DAY 9:00 – 12 noon
January 30: Virtual Coffee 10:30-11:30 a.m.
Virtual Coffee Hour on ZOOM
The holidays are behind us and following on the success of our December Virtual Coffee Hour, we have scheduled the next one!
Please join us in an informal wide-ranging conversation about these topics and others that you want to talk about:
- the tumultuous weeks following the Presidential election
- the Inauguration
- challenges to our democracy
- an update on the General Assembly session and League advocacy on priority issues
- best days and times for future Virtual Coffee hours.
February 9: GENERAL MEETING 6:30 p.m.
State League Program Planning
In February, the League of Women Voters of Virginia (LWV-VA) begins its Program Planning process for the 2021-2023 Biennium. The first step is for the Fredericksburg Area League (and all Local Leagues in Virginia) to consider new issue topics of interest to be proposed for a LWV-VA program study.
Members should first review the current LWV-VA “Positions for Action” to identify any positions that should be prioritized for action, be amended, updated/restudied, or be archived/deleted because they no longer apply or the objective has been achieved.
The “League Program” refers to the policy issues chosen and adopted by the LWV-VA, for rigorous study to form a Policy Position, conduct public discussion, and action or advocacy, for the purpose of influencing public policy.
The Program Planning process begins with a single or several Local Leagues proposing an issue topic, recommendations for study, reviewing current issue Policy Positions, and culminates in the Program Adoption stage. In the Program Adoption stage, delegates at the Biennium State Convention ( to be held on May 22-23, 2021) will adopt a League Program for the next Biennium, including both retention of current “Positions for Action” issue topics and proposed new study issues topics.
When considering new issue topics to recommend for League Program study, be guided by the following:
- Is this a timely issue?
- Is this a State-wide issue?**
- Are there already League positions or similar positions (e.g., LWV-VA, LWVUS level) on the issue? Do any of the current LWV-VA positions need updating or restudy?
- Is state government action the most effective way to address the issue?
- Are there members willing to participate in a study group to work on the issue?
- Is study on the issue likely to attract new members?
** apply the test: “Is this a State-wide issue for the LWV-VA to consider or is it a local or regional issue? State-wide issues that affect all of the Commonwealth of Virginia are appropriate as topics.
A Zoom link will be sent to the membership a fews days before the meeting.
February 11: BOARD MEETING 3:00 – 5:00 p.m.
ALL MEMBERS ARE INVITED